Sunday 1 March 2015

Overcoming a huge fear! ♥

Hey There!

Fear is a big thing for me i have many different types of fears and they all hold me back in some way, even though i probably shouldn't let them,,,

Now some of you may not understand this fear of mine but for me it's a big part of my life as it holds me back so much!

So recently my mum became assistant manager at a restaurant and the other night she was understaffed due to family emergencies, School work and birthdays so instead of hiring a random person to come in and help she bribed me to come in and help out, the deal i made with her was that i would hide behind the bar not serve anyone and just clean the tables after customers. at the start of the night that's all that happened, other people served the customers and i just washed up glasses and cleared plates and lay the tables until it got super busy and they needed me to take plates out to customers...

I don't have a steady hand at the best of times and being put under pressure makes it 10x worse so i was petrified in case i dropped it on the floor, or even worse on the customer!! but after all of that i didn't drop a single plate! i only broke one wine glass which was only because it fell over in the dishwasher... (so that's not really my fault right?)

I don't know why but the thought of giving people their food or taking orders from them makes me feel so weird and after i have given them their food i cant help but think to myself i should of done it differently. is it just me or do other people have this as well??

So tonight was my second shift there and it got a bit better, i went up to customers to see if they had finished with their plates and i even got talking to a customer about the UK as he travels there for work. i only dropped one thing on the floor but luckily it didn't break!!

I Still don't think I'm brave enough to go the full waitress type like taking orders and carrying drinks but i must be doing something right if the boss wants me to come back next weekend?!?

For some reason being a waitress was and still kind of is, a huge fear of mine, maybe it's part of my social anxiety or maybe it's just because I'm constantly worried about being judged... either way I'm kind of glad I'm being eased into being a waitress and not jumping in the deep end!

Still give me a clothes shop to work in any day and I'd do it perfectly!!

Sorry this was a bit of a ramble!!

Just Another Girl xxx

6 comments:

  1. Well done for facing your fear! I'm like you, I find it really difficult to talk to people that I don't know. So I know that must have taken a lot of courage for you to do, well done, I'm really proud of you! <3

    Carolyn x
    http://carolynssimplelife.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to this so much! I have been working at café/restaurant for about 3 months now and I still get so nervous when serving and talking to customers. I don't know how things are done where you work but at our place we have to put all the drinks that need to be served onto one tray that we have to hold underneath with one hand and because our boss doesn't like us pointing the tray down onto the table of the people we are serving we have to use the spare hand to hand the drinks (I'm not sure if that made sense?) but it means we have to balance a tray with several coffees on while concentrating on getting the drinks on the table without dropping anything so I ALWAYS get so nervous about this. Your feelings are completely normal and I think the more you work the more you will get used to things and you will feel more comfortable with working there!

    Good luck
    Sophiealiceinwonderlandxo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be able to do that!! Luckily because my mum is the assistant manager ad shes changing a whole load of things shes letting me do things my own way like carrying a tray with both hands then placing it on the corner of the table!
      Thank you! atleast i know im not the only one!!

      <3 xxx

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad that your facing the fear of working as a waitress, hopefully it will help to combat your social anxiety.
    I did a post a while back about fear. It may help you out! (no pressure to check it out though x)
    Peace xo
    www.waitwhatok.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, i will check out your blog :)

      xx

      Delete